Friday, April 4, 2008
January Lotto Strings Quilt ....Finished!!!!
Although I dropped out off the Stashbuster's list due to time constraints keeping up with all the messages, I am still trying to get some of my UFO's finished. First there was the Crown of Thorns quilt. Then a Challenge was issued by the About.com February Lotto block winners for previous block winners to get those blocks turned into finished quilts. So of course I took the challenge. After all I need to do "spring cleaning", get Jannie's wedding quilt done, and get my quilt show plans done, so this would be a great way to procrastinate! How long could it take to sew together 48 blocks that I won in January....layout decision took a few hours and making another block to add to the mix after sleeping on it. Then the top went together quite quickly. Oh Gee!! How long could it take to do some simple straight line /walking foot quilting? Only a couple of hours, but then I discovered a construction flaw on one block that left some raw edges of a couple of strips loose in places....too late to take it out and replace with another block (because I despise un-sewing!) so how about just stitching over those loose edges with decorative stitches, crazy quilt style....well that would work, but it would draw attention to the flawed block....but not if I added some decorative stitches to all the blocks.....I love how it turned out, but it would have been faster to un-sew and make a replacement block! LOL!! Like I said I despise frog stitching. Besides this gave me a chance to play with some of the fancy stitches on my machine and explore their design possibilities for quilts. Last night I finished sewing on the binding. Another UFO is history! BTW I've decided to keep this one for myself.